Berkley, Huntington Woods Vote on School District Millage Renewals

Find out what's on the ballot, when and where to vote, and more. Stay tuned to Patch for updates and results!

Voters in Berkley and Huntington Woods go to the polls Tuesday, May 7, to decide two Berkley School District millage renewal requests.

[Click here to view a sample ballot.]

The proposals ask voters to renew the general operating fund and sinking fund millages, which would not increase residents' tax rate.

Here are the key facts:

  • 18.9666 mils are levied on businesses and non-primary residences to support the general operating fund.
  • "Revenue generated from the General Operating Fund Millage is considered by the State when calculating the district’s per pupil amounts, and generated approximately $3.1 million in 2012," according to the Berkley School District. "Without this millage, the district would be facing more than a $600 per pupil loss – out of the $7727 per pupil rate in 2012."
  • .7367 mils are levied on all properties in the Berkley School District to support the sinking fund.
  • "If the Sinking Fund is not approved, maintenance, upgrades and repairs of Berkley School District facilities would need to be paid for out of general operating funds, or not at all, and will reduce what can be spent in the classroom," the district says.
  • "If a home was valued at $200,000, with a taxable value of $100,000, the cost to that homeowner for the Non Homestead Millage will be $0. The cost for the Sinking Fund Millage renewal will be $73.67 per year," Berkley School District Communication Supervisor Jessica Stilger said in an e-mail to Patch. "This is based on this year's taxable values, and the tax rates will stay the same in years to come."

[Read: 2013 Berkley School District Millage Renewal Quick Facts]

Here's the rest of the information you need to know before you go to the polls.

Poll hours

All polls are open 7 a.m. until 8 p.m.

Know where you're headed

There are seven precincts (map) in Berkley and five precincts (see attached PDF) in Huntington Woods. If you are unsure of your precinct number, call Berkley City Clerk Cheryl Printz at 248-658-3310 or Huntington Woods City Clerk Joy Solanskey at 248 541-4300, extension 638, or visit michigan.gov/vote.

Bring photo ID

Michigan voters are required to show photo ID, either a driver's license or state-issued ID, at the polls. If you forget, or do not have an acceptable form of ID, you still can vote, but must sign a brief affidavit stating that you're not in possession of a photo ID.

Other forms of ID that will be accepted include:

  • Driver's license or personal identification card issued by another state.
  • Federal or state government-issued photo identification.
  • United States passport.
  • Military identification card with photo.
  • Student identification with photo, from a high school or an accredited. institution of higher education.
  • Tribal identification card with photo.

Stay with Patch for updates and results

Patch will talk with voters at the polls today and provide results as soon as they are available. So, bookmark this page and check back throughout the day for updates.

You can make our coverage that much better by keeping Patch posted on your experience at the polls, too. Was voting at your precinct a breeze? Snap a photo and send it to leslie.ellis@patch.com. Voting machines not working? Let us know! You also can fill us in and follow the experiences of your neighbors on our Facebook page and Twitter.

Jenny Whalen contributed to this report.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »