The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) will make travel easier for motorists this Labor Day holiday by lifting traffic restrictions on 96 of 140 projects statewide. Beginning at 3 p.m. Friday, Aug. 30, and continuing until 6 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 3, MDOT will suspend construction wherever possible on state roads and bridges in anticipation of the estimated 1.2 million people AAA Michigan says will be traveling this holiday weekend in Michigan.
"With the close of the summer travel season, we want residents and visitors to enjoy the best that Michigan has to offer and to be able to get to their destination safely," said State Transportation Director Kirk T. Steudle. "While most MDOT work zones will be open and free of orange barrels this weekend, we urge motorist to use caution and remain vigilant when traveling across the state this holiday season. Motorists need to watch for lane restrictions and traffic shifts in those work zones that are still active."
Motorists are encouraged to regularly check MDOT's popular Mi Drive traffic Web site (www.michigan.gov/drive) for traffic incident alerts, live traffic Web cams, and additional construction information.
Over the Labor Day holiday, the following 44 work zones will have active lane restrictions in place:
- M-26 in Laurium, Houghton County, will be detoured. Third Street will be closed with traffic detoured on Lake Linden Avenue and US-41 to M-26.
- M-28 near Raco, Chippewa County, will be open in each direction with a 9-foot width restriction.
- M-35 in Menominee, Menominee County, will have traffic detoured onto city streets.
- M-64, Ontonagon County, will have one lane open controlled by temporary traffic signals at the Duck Creek, Potato River and Mineral River bridges.
- M-95, Marquette County, will have one lane open at the Michigamme River bridge controlled by a temporary traffic signal.
- M-189 in Iron River, Iron County, will have traffic detoured onto city streets.
Northern Lower Michigan
- I-75 north of Grayling, Crawford County, will have all lanes open in each direction. However, no overwide loads are permitted.
- M-37/M-115 intersection near Mesick, Wexford County, will have shoulder closures and narrow lanes.
- M-65, Alpena County, is closed over the Thunder Bay River with traffic detoured.
- M-65 in Whittemore, Iosco County, will have traffic shifts and a 10-foot width restriction.
- US-31, Grand Traverse County, will have one lane open over Tobeco Creek controlled by a temporary traffic signal.
- I-96 in Crockery Township, Ottawa County, has one lane open in each direction with a traffic shift. The following ramps will be closed:
- The 112th Avenue ramp to westbound I-96;
- The westbound I-96 ramp to M-104 in Nunica; and
- The M-104 (Cleveland Street)/120th Avenue ramp to westbound I-96.
- M-11 (28th Street) in Wyoming, Kent County, has one lane open in each direction from Michael/DeHoop Avenue to US-131. Clyde Park Avenue is closed at M-11.
- US-131 in Grand Rapids, Kent County, has two northbound lanes open between I-196 and Ann Street, and all southbound lanes open. The following ramps will be closed:
- The eastbound I-196 ramp to northbound US-131; and
- The Leonard Street/Scribner Avenue ramp to northbound US-131.
- I-94, Berrien County, will have two lanes open in each direction between Sawyer and Bridgman.
- I-94, Berrien County, will have two lanes open in each direction over Hickory Creek between St. Joseph and Stevensville.
- I-194 in Battle Creek, Calhoun County, will have one lane open in each direction from Columbia Road to Hamblin Street.
- M-43, St. Joseph County, will have lane and ramp closures at US-131; all lanes will be open on US-131.
- US-12 in New Buffalo, Berrien County, will have one lane open in each direction at the I-94 interchange. One lane will be open over the Galien River bridge east of Hoder Road.
Central Michigan and Thumb
- I-75, Saginaw County, will have the following lane closures between Janes Road and the north junction with I-675:
- 11 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 27, to 8 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 31:
- All lanes open on northbound I-75; southbound I-75 will be closed with traffic detoured to southbound I-675.
- 8 to 11 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 31:
- Northbound and southbound I-75 traffic will be detoured to I-675.
- 11 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 31, to 8 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 3:
- All lanes open on southbound I-75; northbound I-75 will be closed with traffic detoured to I-675.
- M-13, Bay County, will have one lane open in each direction over Johnson Creek.
- M-18, Midland County, will have one alternating lane open over US-10, under temporary traffic signals.
- M-24, Lapeer County, will have one northbound lane closed near Newark Road, south of I-69, with traffic shifted.
- M-25, Bay and Tuscola counties, will have the shoulders closed from west of the Bay/Tuscola county line to Dickerson Road.
- M-46 west of Sandusky, Sanilac County, will have shoulder closures from Townline Road to Walmart.
- M-53 in Bad Axe, Huron County, will be closed from Outer Drive to just west of Port Crescent Street with traffic detoured; local traffic only.
- M-84/M-13, Bay County, will be closed between Warner and Wenona streets with traffic detoured.
- I-96, Livingston County, has three lanes open in each direction near Latson Road with a traffic shift.
- M-50, Eaton County, is closed between Vermontville Highway and Needmore Highway, north of Charlotte.
- M-99, Jackson County, is closed with a detour posted at the bridge over the south branch of Rice Creek, just south of Springport.
- US-24 (Telegraph Road), Monroe County, has one lane open in each direction with a traffic shift between Stewart Road and Hurd Street in Monroe.
- US-127, Ingham County, has two lanes open in each direction between Lake Lansing Road and I-496 with traffic shifted.
Metro Detroit Region
City of Detroit:
- I-94 has both eastbound and westbound exits to Van Dyke Avenue closed. Van Dyke Avenue remains closed over I-94 with a posted detour.
- I-94 has both eastbound and westbound exits to West Grand Boulevard closed. West Grand Boulevard remains closed over I-94 with a posted detour.
- M-85 (Fort Street) is closed in each direction between Oakwood Boulevard and Miller Road. A detour is posted.
- I-75 has the southbound exit to West Road closed. A detour is posted.
- I-94 has one lane closed in each direction between Monroe Street and Beech Daly Road.
- I-275 has one lane closed in each direction between Ecorse Road and US-12 (Michigan Avenue).
- M-85 (Fort Street) has one lane open in each direction between Pennsylvania and Sibley roads.
- M-102 (Eight Mile Road) has two lanes open in each direction between M-39 (Southfield Freeway) and US-24 (Telegraph Road).
- US-24 (Dixie Highway) has one lane open in each direction over the Clinton River.
- 23 Mile Road is reduced to two lanes over M-53.
- I-94 has the right eastbound lane closed from I-696 to Masonic Boulevard.
- M-53 is closed in each direction between 34 Mile and Ebeling roads with a posted detour.
Source: Michigan Department of Transportation