Fire authorities are crediting Berkley police officer who followed her nose Tuesday morning for minimal fire and water damage at a pair of popular pizzerias on Woodward Avenue, Crispelli’s Club Room and Uncle Andy’s.
The two side-by-side businesses caught fire after a patron carelessly discarded a cigarette, a patron carelessly discarded a cigarette, Berkley Fire Marshal Corey Miller told The Detroit News.
At 2:27 a.m. a police officer, who was not named, smelled smoke while on patrol near 12 Mile and Woodward Avenue. The officer traced the smell to Crispelli’s Club Room.
Berkley, Huntington Woods, Oak Park and Beverly Hills firefighters worked quickly to extinguish the fire. Surveillance videos show a customer behind the building tossing a cigarette into the shrubs, the believed cause of the blaze.
Investigators believe that the fire was an accident and no criminal charges are expected.
“The cigarette smoldered in the shrubbery,” Miller said. “When they caught the fire it spread into the eaves of the building.”
Firefighters went through a pizzeria next door called Uncle Andy’s Pizza, to ensure the fire hadn’t spread.
The fire and water damage to Uncle Andy’s and Crispelli’s Club Room wasn’t extensive, Miller said.
Both pizzerias are expected to be open Tuesday.