There's a lot going on in our area this weekend, so we've collected some of the highlights to share with you.
A Weekend of Holy Foolery
- When: 9:45 a.m. to 6:15 p.m. Saturday, 1-3 p.m. Sunday; click here for a full schedule.
- Where: Song and Spirit Institute for Peace, 2599 Harvard, Berkley.
- Cost: Donations welcome.
- Why go: The Song and Spirit Institute for Peace will host a weekend of minstrels, troubadours, jugglers, friars, superheroes, stories and wisdom from many faith traditions. Refreshments will be served. Kids are invited to wear their costumes Sunday.
- What else: RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 248-291-5417. Click here to learn more about the Song and Spirit Institute.
Music: 'Phantom of the Opera'
- When: 6 p.m. Sunday.
- Where: St. James Episcopal Church, 355 W. Maple Road Birmingham.
- Cost: Free.
- Why Go: Love Phantom of the Opera? St. James Episcopal Church in downtown Birmingham has the perfect night for you. St. James will be showing the 1924 silent film Phantom of the Opera, starring Lon Chaney. However, hear the organ music in person as the film is accompanied by organist Glenn Burdette.
Books & Authors
- When: 11 a.m. Sunday.
- Where: Leon & Lulu, 96 W. 14 Mile Road Clawson.
- Cost: Free.
- Why Go: Meet and greet more than 40 local authors. Leon & Lulu, in conjunction with the Detroit Free Press' Gift of Reading Program, will also be collecting children's books to distribute to children in Detroit.
Flowers Up Her Attic
- When: 8 p.m. Saturday, 3 p.m. Sunday.
- Where: Ringwald Theatre, 22742 Woodward Ave., Ferndale.
- Cost: $10.
- Why go: Local playwright Marke Sobolewski and Ringwald artistic director Joe Bailey have teamed up to create what the theater calls "a campy, hilarious, ultimately loving parody" of V. C. Andrews' novel Flowers in the Attic.
Cat Power concert
- When: Doors open at 8 p.m. Saturday.
- Where: Royal Oak Music Theatre, 318 W 4th St, Royal Oak, MI 48067
- Cost: Tickets range from $29.50 to $49.50.
- Why go: Check out the indie rocker with special guests Xray Eyeballs and Willis Earl Beal.
The Magic of Halloween with The Amazing Clark
- When: 1-3 p.m. Saturday
- Where: Troy Museum & Historic Village, 60 W. Wattles Road, Troy
- Cost: Kids 12 and younger with a paying adult get in free; adults, $5, and seniors 60 and older, $3.
- Why go: Trick-or-treat among the historic buildings and enjoy magic with The Amazing Clark, magic-themed crafts, prizes and candy.
Know of an upcoming event in our area? Promote it for free on Patch!