Some suggestions for fun things to do this weekend:
On Display: Art Fair Fever
When: 10 a.m.-6 p.m., Saturday
Where: , 3145 W. 12 Mile Rd., Berkley
Why Go: It’s been a long several months since the last art fair came to town and Yellow Door is capitalizing on it with its Art Fair Fever open house. Meet some of the Michigan artists and take advantage of a 15 percent discount Yellow Door is offering visitors that day. For additional information, contact (248) 414-7222 or visit yellowdoorartmarket.com.
On the Street: St. Patrick's Day Parade
- When: 11:30 a.m. Saturday
- Where: downtown Royal Oak
- Why Go: Here are the top reasons you should go to the St. Patrick's Day parade: We’re all Irish on St. Patrick’s Day; that green sweater won’t wear itself; Emerald Isle beer; plus, who doesn’t love a parade, right?
- What else: The parade begins at the parking lot and proceeds down Washington to Seventh, ending at and school on South Lafayette. For more information, contact the organizers at (248) 246-3000 or visit ci.royal-oak.mi.us.
On the Stage: The Last Five Years
- When: 8 p.m. Saturday
- Where:; 415 Lafayette Ave., Royal Oak
- Why Go: An intensely personal look at relationships, this contemporary musical looks at the five-year marriage between Jamie, an up-and-coming novelist and Cathy, a struggling actress. The story is told from both characters’ point of view and will allow you to get your schadenfreude flowing. Tickets are $14 each in advance and $16 at the door. It’s a tear-jerker, so don’t forget the Kleenex before you go. For more information, visit stagecrafters.org.
On the Screen: Uptown Film Festival
When: through Saturday
Where: Uptown and theaters in downtown Birmingham
Why Go: What’s a chichi town without a film festival, right? In its second year, the Uptown Film Festival recognizes films and talent that play a key role in the growth and success of the Michigan film industry. There are a host of movies, both shorts and features — — but this is the weekend for film buffs. Individual movie prices are $10 or buy a VIP pass. More information at uptownfilmfestival.com.
On the Stage: Liz-a-Palooza!
- When: 8 p.m. Saturday
- Where: , 22742 Woodward Ave., Ferndale
- Why Go: Because you love Elizabeth Taylor, of course! Picture this: The audience finds Liz recovering from back surgery in an elegant Virginia hotel; the year is 1978. After a near-fatal encounter with a chicken bone, she’s visited by her ex-ex-husband Richard Burton — or is she? Is he merely a figment of her unconscious mind? During the visit, Burton acts as host, introducing notable figures from her past, all with the purpose of teaching La Liz a very valuable lesson about where her life is headed. According to the folks at the Ringwald, “You’ve never seen Elizabeth Taylor celebrated until you see how The Ringwald celebrates her.” Tickets are $20. Contact the venue for ticket information.