The Berkley School District is proud to announce it is a 2013 Best Community for Music Education!
This national designation comes from the NAMM (National Association of Music Merchants) Foundation, which acknowledges school districts across the U.S. that have demonstrated exceptional efforts toward maintaining music education as part of the core curriculum. Berkley is one of 11 school districts in the state of Michigan to receive this award, and one of 307 nationwide, and was also a 2012 recipient of the Best Community for Music Education Award.
The Best Communities for Music Education (BCME) survey requires districts to answer detailed questions about funding, graduation requirements, music class participation, instruction time, facilities, support for the music program and community music-making programs. Responses were verified with school officials and reviewed by The Institute for Educational Research and Public Service of Lawrence, Kansas, an affiliate of the University of Kansas.
Dennis McDavid, Berkley School District Superintendent, says, "Receiving this nomination for the second year in a row is outstanding. I am very proud of our teachers, students, parents, and community supporters of the music program. We are committed to maintaining comprehensive district offerings for our students, and music education is an integral part. This award is yet another example of the great things going on in the Berkley School District."
Mary Beth Fitzpatrick, Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum, Technology, Assessment and Grants for Berkley School District says, "Despite very challenging times for K-12 State of Michigan public school budgets, the Berkley School District stays focused on the whole child, preserving our award winning music programs."
Maryann Maiuri, District Music Coordinator says,"What a thrill to be recognized - for the second year in a row - as a Best Community for Music Education. Of course the music staff has always known this to be true but the national recognition sure feels great! We work hard every day to uphold the rich tradition of excellence in music that has become the norm in the Berkley Schools. However we could not do it without the support of administrators, parents and community members working together to ensure the programs remain strong and intact for future generations."
Berkley School District Music Education Points of Pride include:
- A complete, comprehensive music program. Students have the opportunity to participate in music throughout their entire school careers.
- Berkley offers band, choir and orchestra beginning in grade 5 and continuing through grade 12.
- All elementary students receive music instruction each week, all year long.
- Incredibly supportive parents - as evidenced by their willingness to invest in quality instruments, attendance at concerts and participation in fund-raisers.
- A strong relationship with McCourt's Music, which supports our students with instrument rentals and repairs, underwrites the entire cost of the 4th grade musical instrument exploration night, presents an instrument demonstration assembly to all district 4th grade students (at no cost to the district), and are NAMM members.
- A music staff committed to including a diverse population of students into their classes.
- The middle and high school bands, choirs and orchestras which consistently receive outstanding ratings at district and state level festivals.
- A music curriculum based on the National Standards for Music Education.
- District administration which fully supports the music department by giving it time to meet as a staff each month and also during Professional Development days throughout the year.
- A music staff committed to student growth by constantly looking to find ways to make teaching even better, to help students not only become the best musicians possible, but also become lifelong lovers of music.
About The NAMM Foundation
The NAMM Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to advancing active participation in music making across the lifespan by supporting scientific research, philanthropic giving and public service programs from the international music products industry.
The full 'Best Communities' press release from the NAMM Foundation can be found here: http://www.nammfoundation.org/press-room/namm-foundation-heralds-2013s-best-communities-music-education