Inside|Out Coming to Town, FBI Offers Reward and More News This Week
Here's what happened in and around Berkley and Huntington Woods.
We shared a lot of good information last week and want to make sure you didn't miss a thing, so here are some highlights.
- American Red Cross Calls for Emergency Blood Donations: Weather-related blood drive cancellations result in low supplies across southeast Michigan. Give blood in Berkley or at another nearby center!
- UPDATED: DIA Picks Berkley, Huntington Woods for Inside|Out Program: The cities are among 25 throughout Metro Detroit chosen to host outdoor art installations this spring and summer.
- Patterson Stresses Innovation, Job Diversification in State of Oakland County Speech: County executive announced launch of MITradeSchool.org, a website to help match trade schools with those looking to learn trades.
- Dems Tell Brooks: Don’t Forget About Kids and the Local Economy: Democrats outline agenda for greater Oakland County prosperity.
- Where to Get Your Girl Scout Cookie Fix: It's that time of year again – get out your wallets and get ready to snack on some of your favorite sweet treats, courtesy of the Girl Scouts of America.
- How Does the Berkley School District Decide Whether to Call a Snow Day?: The process begins before the crack of dawn and involves a variety of factors.
[Sign up for the Berkley Patch e-mail newsletter to get the latest updates all week.]
- Contest: Win an Overnight Stay at the Royal Park Hotel in Rochester: Upload a picture of the object of your affection and you will have a chance to win a romantic getaway for Valentine's Day or a treatment at a Northville dermatology clinic.
- Share Your MPHSH Hockey Showcase Photos: Berkley-Ferndale Unified was among the sixty teams throughout Michigan to compete in the hockey showcase through Feb. 10 at the Arctic Coliseum Arena in Chelsea.
- U.S. Postal Service to Drop Saturday Mail in August: WJBK-TV reports the move will save about $2 billion and will not affect package delivery.
- 'Competition Breeds Success,' Berkley High School's New Varsity Football Coach Says: BHS special education teacher Chris Sikora – who said he will stress academic achievement, as well as a competitive spirit, among his players – has set his sights on the state playoffs.
- FBI Offers $2,500 Reward for Tips Leading to Serial Bank Robber's Arrest: Authorities say the suspect in an armed robbery Jan. 28 at Charter One bank in Berkley also may have committed several others in nearby communities, including Royal Oak.
- Jobs Open at Catching Fireflies, Michigan Property Managers, Crispelli's Bakery & Pizzeria: Who's hiring in Berkley and Huntington Woods? Here's a sampling of ads to help you land just the right position!