Berkley School Board Honors Volunteers, Students
At Monday's Berkley Board of Education meeting, many groups associated with the district were recognized and a revised bullying policy was approved.
The Berkey Board of Education recognized the efforts and accomplishments of outstanding volunteers, teachers and students at its meeting earlier this month:
- The Berkley/Ferndale Unified hockey team for its outstanding season, Academic All-State distinction, All-State athlete Steven Wroe and OAA Hockey Coach of the Year award for coach Jeff Fleming.
- Trevor Maes, an eighth-grader at Norup International School for his seventh-place finish in Michigan for the National Geographic Bee.
- PTA volunteers for their work to plan large events. Those volunteers were Susan McAlpine for Caring & Sharing, Jen Korsak and Conny Coon for Reflections, Jen Korsak for Founder’s Day and Marybeth Schlau for Read in the Park.
- Numerous students in the Norup and Anderson Middle School bands and orchestras for receiving high marks for their Solo and Ensemble performances.
- Norup Band members honored were Andrew Auger, Cameron Berke, Dan Rice, Jacob Price, Ryan Schildcrout, Michael Smith, Grace Hermann, Langston Howley, Jacob Hook, Luke Paczos, Sam Hurwitz, Hannah West, Samantha Katz, Chloe Oliva, Delaney Hudson, Aiden Bergsman and Nick Rhein.
- Norup Orchestra members were Leah Pernick, Lucy Queen, Nicole Feygin, Katherine Schmidt, Josephine Pittman, Adena Collens and Maryam Adel.
- Anderson Band members were Hana Coon, Katina Stalcup and Ava Wirth.
- Anderson Orchestra members were Elise Yenkel, Meredith Orange, Mikayla Brooks, Claire Connors, Chris Korsak, Katie Jones, Natalie Strand Cobian Gleason, Taylor Roasa and Becca Kokotovich.
- The Berkley School District music staff for its 2012 Best Communities in Music Education recognition by the National Association of Music Merchants, which recognizes schools for its commitment and support for music education as part of its core curriculum.